500Px

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Raining Cats and Dogs

I am so glad that I headed out today! I had thought I would head into Samuel P Taylor State Park to look for mushrooms in the rain but I've never been there and couldn't figure out where the trail heads were located. I found several turn outs but the only "official" looking area was the campground. So instead I drove past and ended up in Point Reyes... the clouds were breaking up to some extent so I went looking for raptors. I found several Red-tailed Hawks, a Red-shoulder Hawk and a Harrier Hawk but they were all pretty skiddish and flew away just before could achieve a focus lock.

The highlight came in the Tule Elk reserve. I noticed a bit of brown/gold fur poking out under the guard rail. Low and behold a beautiful coyote came into view. He gave me one split second look before trotting off to hunt more mice.

Later in the day I ran into several very cooperative Mule Deer.

To top it all off, on the way through Olema I found a beautiful Bobcat mousing in a field. What a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have some fabulous wildlife photos on your blog, Rebecca. I saw a big bobcat on the side of the highway recently, but I didn't have my camera ready. That'll teach me. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Rebecca Jackrel said...

Thanks for the comments!

@Leon, I learned a long time ago that you see the most amazing stuff when the camera is packed safely in the trunk out of reach! =)